Metal Playlist of the Week

114 Kassandra - Siberian Acrospire

Keldian - Never Existed

While She Sleeps - Death Toll

Hell - The Age of Nefarious

Ofermod - Sisters of Rapture and Pestilence

Cnoc An Tursa - The Lion of Scotland


For a youtube integrated playlist you can click RIGHT HERE

Saturday, December 7, 2013

An Autumn For Crippled Children - Try Not to Destroy Everything You Love Review



An Autumn For Crippled Children - Try Not to Destroy Everything You Love

My taste in music keeps getting weirder and weirder. For a while, it kept getting more deppresive each passing day, and without knowing I found myself listening to shoe-, metalgaze, post metal etc. (damn you Alcest, it’s all your fault). The album I’ve been listening to for past two weeks was the newest record of An Autumn for Crippled Children (AAfCC from here on). Although in my opinion the French are the dominant ones on the deppresive side of music, Try Not to Destroy Everything You Love by the Dutch band is one of the best albums this year.

Before moving forward let me say that I met AAfCC with this album and this is the only one that I listened to. Aside from the wall of sound created with overdistorted guitar that is default in shoegaze, the first thing you notice are the synths and electronics. What?! Synths and electronics?! I’ve heard AAfCC was a black metal band?! Yes, this is where term “experimental” behind their genre comes to play. Electronics are used pretty well throughout the album. Bass is another instrument that shines. It is one of the main weapons of the parts that catch your ear.

Vocals are left in the background in that wall of sound, which puts the listener to a distance and creates of feeling of being “unreachable”. It is as if you would want to reach out and pull someone out of the water but they are already out of your reach but not your eyesight.

I can’t go on without mentioning the general atmosphere I get from the album. It is pretty deppresing, yes, but there is always some bits that imply that not all hope is lost. In all the darkness that surrounds the songs, there are glimmers of light every now and then. Starting with the album cover and album title, rather than being purely depressing it bears signs of bitter happiness, clouded by the general pessimist perspective.
In conclusion, I found Try Not to Destroy Everything You Love to be a great album. It will definitely put a song or two to my soundtrack for the coming winter. Now, if you let me, I will go and listen to Only the Ocean Knows.


Favorite Tracks: The Woods are On Fire, Try Not to Destroy Everything You Love, Sepia Mountains for Her Lament

No comments:

Post a Comment